Repurposing is a thing that happens around here. Because of the lives that Will Dearest & I live, a wide assortment of oddball stuff has a tendency to accumulate in our home – I have a suspicion that this isn’t unusual for people who make art on the regs; most of my friends have a junk drawer (or room) that they refuse to open in mixed company. We’ve acquired the regular stuff – a variety of printers and computer parts (some that work, even), pallets, milk crates – as well as some of the less usual: a fussy lighting rig, a photo enlarger for analog camera film, a ziploc bag of feathers, three steamer trunks, you know, biggish and/or eyebrow-raising stuff. All of these items one of us looked at and said, “This might come in handy at some point,” and then stuffed into a corner.
But, check this out – this week we used some of it \o/
I’m not gonna humblebrag until the project comes to completion (there’s still a ways to go), but I am excited af to tell you that the first steps of making a stop animation trailer for Rabbit Heart Poetry Film Festival are finally happening – we have built a rig!
The biggest problem I’ve had with filming anything, much less stop animation, has been about keeping the camera from wobbling like a drunken cartoon character. I know for a fact that there are folks around with stable arms, people who can shoot handheld and make it look like gold, but I can assure you I am not one of those people. And some my previous attemts at building a rig involved rubberbands. Spoiler alert, that business bounced around like an outtake from The Blair Witch Project. I don’t need to tell you that was less than ideal. So I approached this project with some trepidation. Luckily, our fantastic R ♥ 2016 intern, Audrey, was there to the rescue! So, here’s how it went.
Tools used: a screwdriver with a star-shaped bit, pencil, xacto knife. Not pictured: scissors, cutting mat & board (I like my carpet, y’all), most of a roll of blue painter’s tape, and a few sheets of cardboard. And a pot of coffee.
We started with two pieces of equipment: the enlarger and the light rig. The initial idea was to have the enlarger do all the work, hold the ipad and keep out the shadows, but it turned out the light was a) blocked by the ipad, and b) just not that bright. Hence the two-piece solution.
Read the rest of this entry »